Course Title Practical English
Course Code BNc202
Teaching Pattern Lecture/Tutorial 45 hours
Assessment Coursework 40%
(Essay writing, Reading, Listening)
This course gives training, drills and tests to develop English language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Learners’ progress is monitored on a continuous assessment basis. The aim of this course is to help learners reach such levels of proficiency that they could communicate in the medium of English with little problem.
This course is designed especially for the specific needs of nurses. Its purpose is to enable students to learn to read, write and use English fluently and accurately in realistic and practical situations. Various aspects of the language functions are included in this course. Contextualised exercises and activities for further and continuous practice in specific functions of the language will be given. Oral practice in the form of presentation and group interaction will be incorporated in this course so as to familiarise students with the communicative use of the language. In short, this course aims at providing comprehensive coverage of all the four skills in the syllabus.
1. Use English as a medium to efficiently and successfully pursue their studies;
2. Develop the skills required for recognising and improving English usage;
3. Acquire effective communication in both spoken and written English;
4. Assume personal responsibility for English language learning in and out of the classroom.
1. Report specific information in texts through guided scanning;
2. Discover and interpret issues in a variety of texts, and to incorporate personal background knowledge in oral and
written responses to them;
3. Initiate and maintain a conversation on a given topic requiring a controlled range of structures and
4. Use vocabulary in a wide variety of activities ranging from games to academic essays, making the vocabulary learnt
become part of the students’ working and functional vocabulary.
林敘儀 編著 (1989) 。 英語會話公式. 台北: 學習。
黃子文 (1985) 。 英語子句語法和慣用法. 北京: 商務。
Blake, J. (2004). English everywhere: Daily life in Hong Kong. 香港: 明窗.
Dougill, J. (1987). English any time. London: Lingual House.
Finocchiaro, M. (1989). English as a second / foreign language: From theory to practice. New Jersey: Prentice Hall Regents.
Green, C. F. (1995). English grammar in focus: A test, practice and reference book for Chinese learners. Hong Kong: Macmillan.
Lorraine, B., & McDonald, B. (1982). English for the medical professions. New York: McGraw-Hall.
Moller, A. (1993). English for life. London: University of London Examinations and Assessment Council.
Moore, D. (1989). English for social occasions. Hong Kong: Witman.
Potter, M. (1989). English around you. London: Macmillan.
Schotman, M. (1993). English conversation for nurses. 臺北: 華杏。
Zwier, L. J. (2000). English for everyday activities: A picture process dictionary. Chinese and English. 香港: 培生教育。