Our nursing laboratories include: Nursing Laboratory (Main Campus), Tung On Nursing Laboratory, Mong Ha Nursing Laboratory, Childbearing and Adolescent Nursing Laboratory, Geriatric and Rehabilitation Nursing Laboratory, Adult Nursing Laboratory, and Traditional Chinese Medicine Nursing Laboratory.
4/F of the Main Campus, 15/F and Tung On Building
Nursing Laboratory (Main Campus): Located in Room 407 at the Main Campus, the Laboratory is dedicated to the teaching and practical training of nursing. With a simulated setting of a hospital ward with 12 beds, it can hold more than 40 students to practise at a time.
Tung On Nursing Laboratory: Located in Tung On Building, the Laboratory is used for teaching and technical training of nursing. With a simulated setting of a hospital ward with nine beds and three sets of cameras, it can hold more than 30 students to practise at a time.
Childbearing and Adolescent Nursing Laboratory: Located in Room 1508 at Mong Ha Campus, the Laboratory consists of two divisions: (1) a Childbearing Nursing Laboratory dedicated to the teaching and learning of bathing and evaluating newborn infants as well as assessing pregnant or parturient women. It has a simulated hospital ward with 4 beds and 4 newborn bathtubs, allowing more than 30 students to practise at a time; (2) a Child and Adolescent Laboratory, with textbooks, VCDs and books on sex education. Paediatric scales and stethoscopes are also available; (3) in addition to this, it also equipped with SimMan 3G to provide simulation teaching and learning for various subjects.
Geriatric and Rehabilitation Laboratory: Located in Room 1509 at Mong Ha Campus, the Laboratory consists of two divisions: (1) a Geriatric Laboratory with a simulated at-home environment which can be used for home assessment for the elderly and as a practice venue for the assessment. The Laboratory can accommodate 10 people at a time; (2) a Rehabilitation Laboratory which is fitted out to simulate a rehabilitation room, allowing various rehabilitation practices for over 20 people at a time; (3) in addition to this, it also equipped with SimMan 3G to provide simulation teaching and learning for various subjects.
Adult Nursing Laboratory: Located in Room 1512 at Mong Ha Campus. With a simulated hospital ward with 20 beds, it can accommodate over 40 people for practice at a time. There is also a Peace Corner where students can relax, meditate and refresh themselves as well as to support one another by leaving notes. Reading materials of spirituality and life and death are also available in the laboratory.
(1). Virtual simulation device
i. SimMan® 3G and SimJunior® functions:
● Configuration of abnormal cardio-pulmonary functions;
● Configuration of different medication procedures;
● Airway management (post endotracheal intubation nursing, airway clearance and oxygen supply mask, etc.);
● Cardiac examination (2,500 kinds of electrocardiograms, manual or automated defibrillation, etc.);
● Pulse fluctuations (carotid, femoral and brachial arteries) and blood pressure variability;
● Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
ii. Virtual IV® functions:
● Provide high quality intravenous training and skills sustainment;
● Powerful 3D anatomical graphics provide visual realism;
● Provide effective simulation training in a risk-free environment;
● Practice needle procedures with life-like patient anatomy in real world scenarios.
iii. iSimulate REALITi functions:
● Mimics real defibrillators and monitors;
● Millions of waveforms, from a single touch;
● Can create diverse case scenarios, send lab and image report;
● Monitor students' engagement.
iv. BodyMap™ Pro VR Human Anatomy Learning Tool functions:
● Medically accurate reconstruction of human body systems based on real MRI and CT scans for effective
● Comparison of 12 main body systems in both male and female genders;
● Haptic simulation training for performing insertion, injection, and cutting techniques;
● Question bank of 3000 anatomy quiz questions and categorized result feedback to assess understanding;
● Multi-player use with instant sharing of medical knowledge between instructors and students in real time.
v. vSim® for nursing:
● Online interactive virtual simulations with integrated curriculum resources pre and post simulation quizzes;
● Guided reflection questions, students can interact with patients in a safe, realistic environment, available
● Provide variety subjects different scenarios for students;
● Designed to simulate real nursing scenarios and to develop clinical decision-making skills, competence, and
confidence in students.
(2). Simulators, medical devices and supplies
||Equipment/ devices: Electrocardio monitor, electrocardiograph, oxygen concentrator, negative pressure aspirator, bone densitometer, syringe pump, infusion pump, hoist, different kinds of manikins and different kinds of wheelchair, etc.
||Intramuscular injection, subcutaneous injection, intradermal injection, wound care, catheterization, NGT insertion, multifunctional human simulator for cardio-pulmonary-abdominal auscultation and palpation, virtual IV, breast self-examination, prostate inspection and advanced life support, etc.
||Maternal and newborn devices: Doppler ultrasound foetal monitor, obstetric examinations simulator, obstetric abdominal examination, antenatal examination, baby simulator, newborn cardio-pulmonary auscultation simulator and different kinds of electronic weighting scale, etc.
||Traditional Chinese medicine equipment: multifunctional moxibustion device, computerized intermediate frequency electrotherapy device, smart foot spa, and Metatron check-up machine.
||Other apparatuses and supplies
Main Campus － Mondays to Fridays : 8:30 – 18:30
Mong Ha Campus － Mondays to Fridays : 8:30 – 18:30
Saturdays : 8:30 – 12:30
Note: please book one week in advance for non-opening hours via e-mail, more details refer to student handbook.
Application for the loan of laboratory items should be made at least five working days prior to the day of use. The completed Application Form for Nursing Lab Materials (for Students) (downloadable from ‘Forms’ on the Intranet) should be submitted to the Laboratory Attendant. Once the application is approved, the applicant will be informed of the time and method of collection. The loaned items have to be returned on time and in good condition. Borrowers will be fined according to KWNC’s related rules for any item damaged or lost.
6. Rules for the use of nursing laboratories as well as the management and use of laboratory materials